Academia and Industry Collaboration for Schizophrenia
You have reached the website of “SZ_TEST: Academia and Industry Collaboration for Schizophrenia”, an international project focused on developing molecular diagnostics tools for early detection of schizophrenia. SZ_TEST is a Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE) project supported by the European Union Horizon 2020 programme for four years begining from January 2017.
This project has received funding under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 734791.
The SZ_TEST project will foster advances in Diagnostics of Early Psyhcosis (Schizophrenia) through a collaboration between 9 partners.
The chronic nature and the high degree of patient disability make schizophrenia the fourth leading cause of disease burden across the globe with the management costs making up ~3% of the total healthcare budget in Western countries. Unfortunately, poorly understood aetiology and limited diagnostic arsenal make it difficult to detect and treat schizophrenia in a timely and efficient manner.
This underscores a critical need for better understanding of the mechanisms underlying this disease and development of new diagnostic possibilities allowing its early detection, ideally prior to the onset of psychosis. The overarching hypothesis underlying our work is that genetic vulnerabilities, neurodevelopmental defects, exposure to pathogens, immune system status and specific lifestyle choices may compound the risk of schizophrenia and that a systematic multivariate analysis of these factors should result in substantially improved diagnostic tools.
SZ_TEST will address this challenge through focused research activities and translational training aimed to complement existing know-how with new skills and share knowledge between partners. The consortium also plans to organize a series of networking activities such as workshops and conferences.
The research program of SZ_TEST will include three interrelated lines of research::
1: Deciphering molecular mechanisms of schizophrenia.
2: Identifying molecular biomarkers for early detection of schizophrenia.
3: Developing reliable protocols for diagnostic use of newly identified biomarkers in clinical settings.
Kick-off meeting in February 2017 in Tallinn, Estonia
Protobios hosted the SZ_TEST kick-off meeting on the 21st of February 2017 in Tallinn, Estonia. The meeting served to bring all partners together and officially launch the project. During this meeting, the partners introduced themselves to the consortium and jointly discussed results obtained thus far as well as plans for the future. Furthermore, the strategy for implementing project activities for the next 12 months was agreed on. Subdomain: public weblog
a) SZ management: today’s clinical need, emerging opportunities
b) Advanced technologies in delineating molecular mechanisms of SZ
August 29-30, 2017
Scizophrenia: today’s clinical need, emerging opportunities
SZtest mini-symposium organised by Protobios and King’s College London took place at 16th March 2018 in Tallinn Tehnopol. The participants from Tallinn, Tartu and London held overview of their projects on gene expression in health and disease.
The meeting was organised by Protobios and the University of Helsinki at 21st of September 2018 in Biomedicum Helsinki. It was an information section on the Marie-Curie Actions (MSCA) 2019 call for proposals for the Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE).
RISE funds short-term exchanges for staff to develop careers combining scientific excellence with exposure to other countries and sectors. RISE enables more interaction between academia and non-academic organisations within Europe and worldwide.
The project leading to this application has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No. 734791.
In October 2018 the laboratories of Protobios were visited by leading Multiple sclerosis practicing MD and principal investigator from the University of Helsinki Prof Pentti Tienari and his lab technician Lilja Jansson. The visit was performed within the SZTest project. Our honourable guests shared their knowledge in field of neuro-immunology and introduced relevant advanced methods.
It is noteworthy that schizophrenia was first distinguished from other forms of psychosis by the famous German psychiatrist Emil Kraepelin when he was a Professor of Psychiatry and a Head of Tartu University Hospital, Estonia.
Select references of partners associated with the project application:
- AMCH, HUH
- UH, Virology
- SZTEST members in the news
- Links to collaborators
- Defended dissertations
Koppel I, Timmusk T. Differential regulation of Bdnf expression in cortical neurons by class-selective histone deacetylase inhibitors. Neuropharmacology. 2013 Dec;75:106-15;
Koppel I, Tuvikene J, Lekk I, Timmusk T. Efficient use of a translation start codon in BDNF exon I. J Neurochem. 2015 Sep;134(6):1015-25;
Pruunsild P, Sepp M, Orav E, Koppel I, Timmusk T. Identification of cis-elements and transcription factors regulating neuronal activity-dependent transcription of human BDNF gene. J Neurosci. 2011 Mar 2;31(9):3295-308;
Sepp, M., Kannike, K., Eesmaa, A., Urb, M. and Timmusk, T. (2011) Functional diversity of human basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor TCF4 isoforms generated by alternative 5′ exon usage and splicing. PLoS One, 6, e22138.
Sepp, M., Pruunsild, P. and Timmusk, T. (2012) Pitt-Hopkins syndrome-associated mutations in TCF4 lead to variable impairment of the transcription factor function ranging from hypomorphic to dominant-negative effects. Hum. Mol. Genet., 21, 2873-2888.
Tamberg L, Sepp M, Timmusk T., Palgi M. (2015) Introducing Pitt-Hopkins syndrome-associated mutations of TCF4 to Drosophila daughterless. Biol. Open, 4, 1762-1771.
Tuvikene J, Pruunsild P, Orav E, Esvald EE, Timmusk T. AP-1 Transcription Factors Mediate BDNF-Positive Feedback Loop in Cortical Neurons. J Neurosci. 2016 Jan 27;36(4):1290-305.
Vihma H., Sepp M., Nurm K., Urb M., Page S.C., Roots K., Hark A., Pupina N., Maher B.J., Pruunsild P. and Timmusk T. Regulation of TCF4 transcriptional activity by post-translational modifications in neurons. 11th FENS Forum of Neuroscience, Berlin, July 2018.
Esvald E-E., Tuvikene J., Sirp A., Timmusk T. CREB and BDNF transcriptional autoregulation. 14th NGF meeting: International Conference on Neurotrophic Factors 2018. Salamanca, Spain, June 2018.
Tuvikene J., Avarlaid A., Uustalu K., Rähni A., Esvald E-E., Jaanson K., Timmusk T. Identification of enhancer regions regulating BDNF gene expression. 14th NGF meeting: International Conference on Neurotrophic Factors 2018. Salamanca, Spain, June 2018.
Sadam, H., Pihlak, A., Jaago, M., Luhakooder, M., Vaheri, A., Siuko, M., Valori, M., Tienari, P, Palm, K., consortium Academia and industrial collaboration for schizophrenia (SZ_TEST). Immunoprofiling of multiple sclerosis: pathogenome crosstalks with self. The Lancet Summit, 2018.
Cagalinec M, Liiv M, Hodurova Z, Hickey MA, Vaarmann A, Mandel M, Zeb A, Choubey V, Kuum M, Safiulina D, Vasar E, Veksler V, Kaasik A. Role of Mitochondrial Dynamics in Neuronal Development: Mechanism for Wolfram Syndrome. PLoS Biol. 2016 Jul 19;14(7):e1002511. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.1002511.
Mazitov T, Bregin A, Philips MA, Innos J, Vasar E. Deficit in emotional learning in neurotrimin knockout mice. Behav Brain Res. 2017 Jan 15;317:311-318. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2016.09.064.
Reimets R, Raud S, Loomets M, Visnapuu T, Volke V, Reimets A, Plaas M, Vasar E. Variability in the effect of antidepressants upon Wfs1-deficient mice is dependent on the drugs’ mechanism of actions. Behav Brain Res. 2016 Jul 15;308:53-63. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2016.04.011.
Tekko T, Lakspere T, Allikalt A, End J, Kõlvart KR, Jagomäe T, Terasmaa A, Philips MA, Visnapuu T, Väärtnõu F, Gilbert SF, Rinken A, Vasar E, Lilleväli K. Wfs1 is expressed in dopaminoceptive regions of the amniote brain and modulates levels of D1-like receptors. PLoS One. 2017 Mar 7;12(3):e0172825. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0172825.
Leppik L, Parksepp M, Janno S, Koido K, Haring L, Vasar E, Zilmer M. Profiling of lipidomics before and after antipsychotic treatment in first-episode psychosis. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2019 Jan 2. doi: 10.1007/s00406-018-0971-6. [Epub ahead of print]
Leppik L, Kriisa K, Koido K, Koch K, Kajalaid K, Haring L, Vasar E, Zilmer M. Profiling of Amino Acids and Their Derivatives Biogenic Amines Before and After Antipsychotic Treatment in First-Episode Psychosis. Front Psychiatry. 2018 Apr 24;9:155. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00155. eCollection 2018.
Karis K, Eskla KL, Kaare M, Täht K, Tuusov J, Visnapuu T, Innos J, Jayaram M, Timmusk T, Weickert CS, Väli M, Vasar E, Philips MA. Altered Expression Profile of IgLON Family of Neural Cell Adhesion Molecules in the Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex of Schizophrenic Patients. Front Mol Neurosci. 2018 Jan 29;11:8. doi: 10.3389/fnmol.2018.00008. eCollection 2018.
Kriisa K, Leppik L, Balõtšev R, Ottas A, Soomets U, Koido K, Volke V, Innos J, Haring L, Vasar E, Zilmer M. Profiling of Acylcarnitines in First Episode Psychosis before and after Antipsychotic Treatment. J Proteome Res. 2017 Oct 6;16(10):3558-3566. doi: 10.1021/acs.jproteome.7b00279. Epub 2017 Aug 24.
Balõtšev R, Haring L, Koido K, Leping V, Kriisa K, Zilmer M, Vasar V, Piir A, Lang A, Vasar E. Antipsychotic treatment is associated with inflammatory and metabolic biomarkers alterations among first-episode psychosis patients: A 7-month follow-up study. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2019 Feb;13(1):101-109. doi: 10.1111/eip.12457. Epub 2017 Jul 18.
Haring L, Mõttus R, Kajalaid K, Koch K, Uppin K, Maron E, Vasar E. The course of cognitive functioning after first-episode of psychosis: A six month follow-up study. Schizophr Res. 2017 Apr;182:31-41. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2016.10.017. Epub 2016 Oct 13.
Balõtšev R, Koido K, Vasar V, Janno S, Kriisa K, Mahlapuu R, Ljubajev U, Parksepp M, Veiksaar P, Volke V, Lang A, Haring L, Zilmer M, Vasar E. Inflammatory, cardio-metabolic and diabetic profiling of chronic schizophrenia. Eur Psychiatry. 2017 Jan;39:1-10. doi: 10.1016/j.eurpsy.2016.05.010.
Bourin M, Malinge M, Vasar E, Bradwejn J. Two faces of cholecystokinin: anxiety and schizophrenia. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 1996;10(2):116-26. Review.
Haring L, Koido K, Vasar V, Leping V, Zilmer K, Zilmer M, Vasar E. Antipsychotic treatment reduces psychotic symptoms and markers of low-grade inflammation in first episode psychosis patients, but increases their body mass index. Schizophr Res. 2015; 169 (1-3): 22-29.
Haring L, Mõttus R, Kajalaid K, Koch K, Uppin K, Maron E, Vasar E. The course of cognitive functioning after first-episode of psychosis: A six month follow-up study. Schizophr Res. 2017 Apr;182:31-41. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2016.10.017.
Haring L, Müürsepp A, Mõttus R, Ilves P, Koch K, Uppin K, Tarnovskaja J, Maron E, Zharkovsky A, Vasar E, Vasar V. Cortical thickness and surface area correlates with cognitive dysfunction among first-episode psychosis patients. Psychol Med. 2016 Jul;46(10):2145-55. doi: 10.1017/S0033291716000684.
Koido K, Innos J, Haring L, Zilmer M, Ottas A, Vasar E. Taurine and Epidermal Growth Factor Belong to the Signature of First-Episode Psychosis. Front Neurosci. 2016 Jul 15;10:331. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2016.00331.
Koido K, Janno S, Traks T, Parksepp M, Ljubajev Ü, Veiksaar P, Must A, Shlik J, Vasar V, Vasar E. Associations between polymorphisms of LSAMP gene and schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res. 2014 Mar 30;215(3):797-8. doi: 10.1016/j.psychres.2014.01.016.
Kriisa K, Haring L, Vasar E, Koido K, Janno S, Vasar V, Zilmer K, Zilmer M. Antipsychotic Treatment Reduces Indices of Oxidative Stress in First-Episode Psychosis Patients. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016;2016:9616593.
Neo WH, Yap K, Lee SH, Looi LS, Khandelia P, Neo SX, Makeyev EV, Su IH. MicroRNA miR-124 controls the choice between neuronal and astrocyte differentiation by fine-tuning Ezh2 expression. J Biol Chem. 2014 Jul 25;289(30):20788-801.
Yap K, Xiao Y, Friedman BA, Je HS, Makeyev EV. Polarizing the Neuron through Sustained Co-expression of Alternatively Spliced Isoforms. Cell Rep. 2016 May 10;15(6):1316-28. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2016.04.012.
Do HT, Bruelle C, Pham DD, Jauhiainen M, Eriksson O, Korhonen LT, Lindholm D. Nerve growth factor (NGF) and pro-NGF increase low-density lipoprotein (LDL) receptors in neuronal cells partly by different mechanisms: role of LDL in neurite outgrowth. J Neurochem. 2016 Jan;136(2):306-15. doi: 10.1111/jnc.13397.
Do HT, Bruelle C, Tselykh T, Jalonen P, Korhonen L, Lindholm D. Reciprocal regulation of very low density lipoprotein receptors (VLDLRs) in neurons by brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and Reelin: involvement of the E3 ligase Mylip/Idol. J Biol Chem. 2013 Oct 11;288(41):29613-20.
Lindholm D, Bornhauser BC, Korhonen L. Mylip makes an Idol turn into regulation of LDL receptor. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2009 Nov;66(21):3399-402. doi:10.1007/s00018-009-0127-y.
Mainini V, Lalowski M, Gotsopoulos A, Bitsika V, Baumann M, Magni F. MALDI-imaging mass spectrometry on tissues. Methods Mol Biol. 2015;1243:139-64. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-1872-0_8.
Pham DD, Do HT, Bruelle C, Kukkonen JP, Eriksson O, Mogollón I, Korhonen LT, Arumäe U, Lindholm D. p75 Neurotrophin Receptor Signaling Activates Sterol Regulatory Element-binding Protein-2 in Hepatocyte Cells via p38 Mitogen-activated Protein Kinase and Caspase-3. J Biol Chem. 2016 May 13;291(20):10747-58. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M116.722272.
Scifo E, Szwajda A, Dębski J, Uusi-Rauva K, Kesti T, Dadlez M, Gingras AC, Tyynelä J, Baumann MH, Jalanko A, Lalowski M. Drafting the CLN3 protein interactome in SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cells: a label-free quantitative proteomics approach. J Proteome Res. 2013 May 3;12(5):2101-15. doi: 10.1021/pr301125k.
Tikka S, Monogioudi E, Gotsopoulos A, Soliymani R, Pezzini F, Scifo E, Uusi-Rauva K, Tyynelä J, Baumann M, Jalanko A, Simonati A, Lalowski M. Proteomic Profiling in the Brain of CLN1 Disease Model Reveals Affected Functional Modules. Neuromolecular Med. 2016 Mar;18(1):109-33. doi: 10.1007/s12017-015-8382-6.
Zaręba-Kozioł M, Szwajda A, Dadlez M, Wysłouch-Cieszyńska A, Lalowski M. Global analysis of S-nitrosylation sites in the wild type (APP) transgenic mouse brain-clues for synaptic pathology. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2014 Sep;13(9):2288-305. doi: 10.1074/mcp.M113.036079.
International Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium (IMSGC).,..Tienari P, et al. Analysis of immune-related loci identifies 48 new susceptibility variants for multiple sclerosis. Nat Genet. 2013 Nov;45(11):1353-60. doi: 10.1038/ng.2770.
Lindholm, D., Hyrskyluoto, A., Bruelle, C., Putkonen, N., Korhonen., L. Proteasome Role in Neurodegeneration.Reference Module in Biomedical Sciences. 2015.
Roisko R, Wahlberg KE, Hakko H, Tienari P. Association of adoptive child’s thought disorders and schizophrenia spectrum disorders with their genetic liability for schizophrenia spectrum disorders, season of birth and parental Communication Deviance. Psychiatry Res. 2015 Apr 30;226(2-3):434-40. doi: 10.1016/j.psychres.2014.12.036.
Roisko R, Wahlberg KE, Miettunen J, Tienari P. Association of parental communication deviance with offspring’s psychiatric and thought disorders. A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Psychiatry. 2014 Jan;29(1):20-31. doi: 10.1016/j.eurpsy.2013.05.002.
Siuko M, Valori M, Kivelä T, Setälä K, Morin A, Kwan T, Pastinen T, Tienari P. Exome and regulatory element sequencing of neuromyelitis optica patients. J Neuroimmunol. 2015 Dec 15;289:139-42. doi: 10.1016/j.jneuroim.2015.11.002.
Ahokas A, Koskiniemi ML, Vaheri A, Rimón R. Altered white cell count, protein concentration and oligoclonal IgG bands in the cerebrospinal fluid of many patients with acute psychiatric disorders. Neuropsychobiology. 1985;14(1):1-4.
Ahokas A, Rimón R, Koskiniemi M, Vaheri A, Julkunen I, Sarna S. Viral antibodies and interferon in acute psychiatric disorders. J Clin Psychiatry. 1987 May;48(5):194-6.
Virtanen JO, Zabriskie JB, Sirén V, Friedman JE, Lyons MJ, Edgar M, Vaheri A, Koskiniemi M. Co-localization of human herpes virus 6 and tissue plasminogen activator in multiple sclerosis brain tissue. Med Sci Monit. 2005 Mar;11(3):BR84-7.
- Rähni A, Jaago M, Sadam H, Pupina N, Pihlak A, Tuvikene J, Annuk M, Mägi A, Timmusk T, Ghaemmaghami AM, Palm K. Melanoma-specific antigen-associated antitumor antibody reactivity as an immune-related biomarker for targeted immunotherapies. Commun Med (Lond). 2022 May 11;2:48. doi: 10.1038/s43856-022-00114-7. PMID: 35603273; PMCID: PMC9095616 (no IF yet)
- Jaago M, Pupina N, Rähni A, Pihlak A, Sadam H, Vrana NE, Sinisalo J, Pussinen P, Palm K. Antibody response to oral biofilm is a biomarker for acute coronary syndrome in periodontal disease. Commun Biol. 2022 Mar 4;5(1):205. doi: 10.1038/s42003-022-03122-4. PMID: 35246599; PMCID: PMC8897497 (IF 6,268)
- Pupina N, Avarlaid A, Sadam H, Pihlak A, Jaago M, Tuvikene J, Rähni A, Planken A, Planken M, Kalso E, Tienari PJ, Nieminen JK, Seppänen MRJ, Vaheri A, Lindholm D, Sinisalo J, Pussinen P, Timmusk T, Palm K. Immune response to a conserved enteroviral epitope of the major capsid VP1 protein is associated with lower risk of cardiovascular disease. EBioMedicine. 2022 Feb;76:103835. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2022.103835. Epub 2022 Jan 25. PMID: 35091341; PMCID: PMC8801986 (IF 7.81)
- Yap K, Chung TH, Makeyev EV. Analysis of RNA-containing compartments by hybridization and proximity labeling in cultured human cells. STAR Protoc. 2022 Jan 28;3(1):101139. doi: 10.1016/j.xpro.2022.101139. PMID: 35128480; PMCID: PMC8808287; (no IF yet)
- Yap K, Chung TH, Makeyev EV. Hybridization-proximity labeling reveals spatially ordered interactions of nuclear RNA compartments. Mol Cell. 2022 Jan 20;82(2):463-478.e11. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2021.10.009. Epub 2021 Nov 5. PMID: 34741808; PMCID: PMC8791277, (IF 17,97)
- Sirp A, Roots K, Nurm K, Tuvikene J, Sepp M, Timmusk T. Functional consequences of TCF4 missense substitutions associated with Pitt-Hopkins syndrome, mild intellectual disability, and schizophrenia. J Biol Chem. 2021 Dec;297(6):101381. doi: 10.1016/j.jbc.2021.101381. Epub 2021 Nov 6. PMID: 34748727; PMCID: PMC8648840, (IF 5,157)
- Nurm K, Sepp M, Castany-Pladevall C, Creus-Muncunill J, Tuvikene J, Sirp A, Vihma H, Blake DJ, Perez-Navarro E, Timmusk T. Isoform-Specific Reduction of the Basic Helix-Loop-Helix Transcription Factor TCF4 Levels in Huntington’s Disease. eNeuro. 2021 Oct 14;8(5):ENEURO.0197-21.2021. doi: 10.1523/ENEURO.0197-21.2021. PMID: 34518368; PMCID: PMC8519306, (IF 3,433)
- Törnquist K, Asghar MY, Srinivasan V, Korhonen L, Lindholm D. Sphingolipids as Modulators of SARS-CoV-2 Infection. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2021 Jun 17;9:689854. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2021.689854. PMID: 34222257; PMCID: PMC8245774 (IF 6,684)
- Gordon PM, Hamid F, Makeyev EV, Houart C. A conserved role for the ALS-linked splicing factor SFPQ in repression of pathogenic cryptic last exons. Nat Commun. 2021 Mar 26;12(1):1918. doi: 10.1038/s41467-021-22098-z. PMID: 33771997; PMCID: PMC7997972 (IF 14,919)
- Sadam H, Pihlak A, Jaago M, Pupina N, Rähni A, Toots M, Vaheri A, Nieminen JK, Siuko M, Tienari PJ, Palm K. Identification of two highly antigenic epitope markers predicting multiple sclerosis in optic neuritis patients. EBioMedicine. 2021 Feb;64:103211. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2021.103211. Epub 2021 Jan 23. PMID: 33493797; PMCID: PMC7841498; (IF 7.81)
- Vanaveski T, Molchanova S, Pham DD, Schäfer A, Pajanoja C, Narvik J, Srinivasan V, Urb M, Koivisto M, Vasar E, Timmusk T, Minkeviciene R, Eriksson O, Lalowski M, Taira T, Korhonen L, Voikar V, Lindholm D. PGC-1α Signaling Increases GABA(A) Receptor Subunit α2 Expression, GABAergic Neurotransmission and Anxiety-Like Behavior in Mice. Front Mol Neurosci. 2021 Feb 1;14:588230. doi: 10.3389/fnmol.2021.588230. PMID: 33597848; PMCID: PMC7882546 (IF 5,639)
- Tuvikene J, Esvald EE, Rähni A, Uustalu K, Zhuravskaya A, Avarlaid A, Makeyev EV, Timmusk T. Intronic enhancer region governs transcript-specific Bdnf expression in rodent neurons. Elife. 2021 Feb 9;10:e65161. doi: 10.7554/eLife.65161. PMID: 33560226; PMCID: PMC7891933, (IF 8,14)
- Sirp A, Leite K, Tuvikene J, Nurm K, Sepp M, Timmusk T. The Fuchs corneal dystrophy-associated CTG repeat expansion in the TCF4 gene affects transcription from its alternative promoters. Sci Rep. 2020 Oct 28;10(1):18424. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-75437-3. PMID: 33116252; PMCID: PMC7595208; (IF 4,38)
- Srinivasan V, Korhonen L, Lindholm D. The Unfolded Protein Response and Autophagy as Drug Targets in Neuropsychiatric Disorders. Front Cell Neurosci. 2020 Sep 29;14:554548. doi: 10.3389/fncel.2020.554548. PMID: 33132844; PMCID: PMC7550790 (IF 4,555)
- Ramos SI, Makeyev EV, Salierno M, Kodama T, Kawakami Y, Sahara S. Tuba8 Drives Differentiation of Cortical Radial Glia into Apical Intermediate Progenitors by Tuning Modifications of Tubulin C Termini. Dev Cell. 2020 Feb 24;52(4):477-491.e8. doi: 10.1016/j.devcel.2020.01.036. PMID: 32097653; PMCID: PMC7374049, (IF 12,27)
- Esvald EE, Tuvikene J, Sirp A, Patil S, Bramham CR, Timmusk T. CREB Family Transcription Factors Are Major Mediators of BDNF Transcriptional Autoregulation in Cortical Neurons. J Neurosci. 2020 Feb 12;40(7):1405-1426. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0367-19.2019. Epub 2020 Jan 8. PMID: 31915257; PMCID: PMC7044735 (IF 5,84)
- Yap K, Mukhina S, Zhang G, Tan JSC, Ong HS, Makeyev EV. A Short Tandem Repeat-Enriched RNA Assembles a Nuclear Compartment to Control Alternative Splicing and Promote Cell Survival. Mol Cell. 2018 Nov 1;72(3):525-540.e13. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2018.08.041. Epub 2018 Oct 11. PMID: 30318443; PMCID: PMC6224606; (IF 17,97)
- Ehsan M, Kelly M, Hooper C, Yavari A, Beglov J, Bellahcene M, Ghataorhe K, Poloni G, Goel A, Kyriakou T, Fleischanderl K, Ehler E, Makeyev E, Lange S, Ashrafian H, Redwood C, Davies B, Watkins H, Gehmlich K. Mutant Muscle LIM Protein C58G causes cardiomyopathy through protein depletion. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2018 Aug;121:287-296. doi: 10.1016/j.yjmcc.2018.07.248. Epub 2018 Jul 23. PMID: 30048712; PMCID: PMC6117453. (IF 4,133)
- Sadam H, Pihlak A, Kivil A, Pihelgas S, Jaago M, Adler P, Vilo J, Vapalahti O, Neuman T, Lindholm D, Partinen M, Vaheri A, Palm K. Prostaglandin D2 Receptor DP1 Antibodies Predict Vaccine-induced and Spontaneous Narcolepsy Type 1: Large-scale Study of Antibody Profiling. EBioMedicine. 2018 Mar;29:47-59. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2018.01.043. Epub 2018 Feb 2. PMID: 29449194; PMCID: PMC5925455; (IF 7.81)
- Korhonen M, Korhonen L. Increased psychiatric diagnoses and service use in childhood. Lancet Psychiatry. 2018 Mar;5(3):191-192. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(18)30039-7. Epub 2018 Feb 2. PMID: 29398638 (IF 27,083)
- Karis K, Eskla KL, Kaare M, Täht K, Tuusov J, Visnapuu T, Innos J, Jayaram M, Timmusk T, Weickert CS, Väli M, Vasar E, Philips MA. Altered Expression Profile of IgLON Family of Neural Cell Adhesion Molecules in the Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex of Schizophrenic Patients. Front Mol Neurosci. 2018 Jan 29;11:8. doi: 10.3389/fnmol.2018.00008. PMID: 29434535; PMCID: PMC5797424, (IF 5,639)
- Sepp M, Vihma H, Nurm K, Urb M, Page SC, Roots K, Hark A, Maher BJ, Pruunsild P, Timmusk T. The Intellectual Disability and Schizophrenia Associated Transcription Factor TCF4 Is Regulated by Neuronal Activity and Protein Kinase A. J Neurosci. 2017 Oct 25;37(43):10516-10527. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1151-17.2017. Epub 2017 Sep 26. PMID: 28951451; PMCID: PMC5656997; (IF 5,84)
- Scifo E, Calza G, Fuhrmann M, Soliymani R, Baumann M, Lalowski M. Recent advances in applying mass spectrometry and systems biology to determine brain dynamics. Expert Rev Proteomics. 2017 Jun;14(6):545-559. doi: 10.1080/14789450.2017.1335200. Epub 2017 Jun 1. PMID: 28539064; (IF 3,94)
- Sügis E, Dauvillier J, Leontjeva A, Adler P, Hindie V, Moncion T, Collura V, Daudin R, Loe-Mie Y, Herault Y, Lambert JC, Hermjakob H, Pupko T, Rain JC, Xenarios I, Vilo J, Simonneau M, Peterson H. HENA, heterogeneous network-based data set for Alzheimer’s disease. Sci Data. 2019 Aug 14;6(1):151. doi: 10.1038/s41597-019-0152-0. PMID: 31413325; PMCID: PMC6694132.
Ramos,S.I, Makeyev, E.V.,Salierno,M.,Kodama,T.,Kawakami,Y. and Sahara S. (2020)
Tuba8 Drives Differentiation of Cortical Radial Glia into Apical Intermediate Progenitors by Tuning Modifications of Tubulin C Termini. Cell, in press. DOI: https://www.cell.com/developmental-cell/fulltext/S1534-5807(20)30068-X?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS153458072030068X%3Fshowall%3Dtrue
Kainov, Y.A., Makeyev, E.V. A transcriptome-wide antitermination mechanism sustaining identity of embryonic stem cells. Nat Commun 11, 361 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-14204-z
Korhonen M, Korhonen L (2018) Increased psychiatric diagnoses and service use in childhood. Lancet Psychiatry Feb 1. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(18)30039-7. (2017 Impact Factor: 15.233). 10.1016/S2215-0366(18)30039-7
Karis K., Eskla K.L., Kaare M., Leidmaa E., Täht K., Tuusov J., Visnapuu T., Innos J., Jayaram M., Timmusk T., Weickert CS, Väli M., Vasar E., Philips M.A. Altered expression profile of IgLON family of neural cell adhesion molecules in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex of schizophrenic patients. Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience, 2018, 11:8. 10.3389/fnmol.2018.00008
Lindholm D, Korhonen L, Eriksson O, Kõks S. Recent Insights into the Role of Unfolded Protein Response in ER Stress in Health and Disease. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2017 May 10; 5:48. eCollection 2017. Review. 10.3389/fcell.2017.00048
Scifo E, Calza G, Fuhrmann M, Soliymani R, Baumann M, Lalowski M. Recent advances in applying mass spectrometry and systems biology to determine brain dynamics. Expert Rev Proteomics. 2017 Jun;14(6):545-559. 10.1080/14789450.2017.1335200
Sepp M., Vihma H., Nurm K., Urb M., Page SC., Roots K,. Hark A., Maher BJ., Pruunsild P., Timmusk T., 2017. The Intellectual Disability and Schizophrenia Associated Transcription Factor TCF4 Is Regulated by Neuronal Activity and Protein Kinase A. The Journal of Neuroscience, 37, 10516-10527. (2017 Impact Factor: 5.970). 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1151-17.2017
Sadam, H., Pihlak, A., Kivil, A., Pihelgas, S., Jaago, M., Vilo, J., Vapalahti, O., Neuman, T., Lindholm, D., Partinen, M., Vaheri, A. & Palm., K. (2018) Large-scale identification of antibodies to Prostaglandin D2 receptor DP1 as predictors of vaccine-induced and spontaneous narcolepsy type 1. EBioMedicine. 2018 Mar; 29:47-59. (2017 Impact Factor: 6.183). 10.1016/j.ebiom.2018.01.043
Ehsan M, Kelly M, Hooper C, Yavari A, Beglov J, Bellahcene M, Ghataorhe K, Poloni G, Goel A, Kyriakou T, Fleischanderl K, Ehler E, Makeyev E, Lange S, Ashrafian H, Redwood C, Davies B, Watkins H, and Gehmlich K. Mutant Muscle LIM Protein C58G causes cardiomyopathy through protein depletion. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2018 Aug;121:287-296. Epub 2018 Jul 23. (2017 Impact Factor: 5.296). 10.1016/j.yjmcc.2018.07.248
Yap K, Mukhina S, Zhang G, Tan JSC, Ong HS, and Makeyev EV. A short tandem repeat-enriched RNA assembles a nuclear compartment to control alternative splicing and promote cell survival. Mol. Cell, in press. (2017 Impact Factor: 14.248). 10.1016/j.molcel.2018.08.041
The second SZTest meeting will be held from 29-30 August 2017, in Tartu Biomedicum, Estonia.— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 15, 2017
So, one of our lecturers on the second SZTest Conference in Tartu on 29.08.2017 will be Dr. Casquillas, CEO of @Elvesys! Be there :)!
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 20, 2017
Everybody is more than welcome to come and listen to Prof. Jaana Suvisaari, a Head of unit&Research Professor a THL speech via @Skype, 29Aug
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 21, 2017
After 2010, Protobios was reevaluated very successfully by Estonian Research Council for the evaluation of research and development!!!
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 23, 2017
…so now still/ again Protobios is a part of as prestigious "Research and development institutions" in Estonia😀! https://t.co/BNM46fXZEw
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 23, 2017
Research and development | Estonian Ministry of Education and Research https://t.co/BNM46fXZEw
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 23, 2017
The second SZTest Conference: Schizophrenia: Today's Clinical Need, Emerging Opportunities pic.twitter.com/AeijT7Jnx1
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 25, 2017
⚡️ “The second SZTest conference, Tartu Biomedicum”https://t.co/1Sw3EVUNKo
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 25, 2017
The second SZTest conference, August 29, 2017, Biomedicum, Estonia. Schedule and agenda. pic.twitter.com/sovNhplIba
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 25, 2017
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) September 5, 2017
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) October 18, 2017
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) March 14, 2018
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) March 14, 2018
You are kindly invited to participate in SZTest mini-symposium “Gene Expression in Health and Disease” organised by @Protobios1 together with @dev_neuro on 16.03.2018 in Tallinn. @helsinkiuni,@TartuUniversity @TallinnTech. Please register: email@example.com
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) March 14, 2018
Get ready: The 3-rd Nordic Neuroscience Meeting 2019 is approaching! Do come by! https://t.co/m71TT3DnMF
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) November 28, 2018
On Sept. 21, 2018 @Protobios together with University of Helsinki organised the SZTest 4th MEETING. It was super-exiting! Thank everybody who participated! pic.twitter.com/DhmvmpXDnG
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) November 28, 2018
On Sept. 21, 2018 @Protobios together with University of Helsinki organised the SZTest 4th MEETING. It was super-exiting! Thank everybody who participated! @Elvesys @TallinnTech pic.twitter.com/ofN63b6Abb
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) November 29, 2018
— camilla (@camillabellone) November 28, 2018
a collaboration between @CSAN_LiU and @Protobios1 on the @SZTestEU project got me back to using @rstudio. I am quite rusty but oh! the satisfaction of getting these scripts running and letting them do the work for me #Rladies #womenwhocode
— Elisabeth Paul (@ElisabethPaul16) March 4, 2019
Can't wait!!! https://t.co/eQL3AzBjjt
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) May 14, 2019
The new SZTest V is approaching soon!!!
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 21, 2019
Protobios together with the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich Systasy and Tallinn University of Technology present: 5th SZTest conference “Genetic challenges of the nervous system” 25 -30 August, 2019, Estonia pic.twitter.com/p6b2dHp6Y3
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) August 21, 2019
Tuba8 Drives Differentiation of Cortical Radial Glia into Apical Intermediate Progenitors by Tuning Modifications of Tubulin C Termini https://t.co/JfB5s0qt6x
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) May 19, 2020
Altered Expression Profile of IgLON Family of Neural Cell Adhesion Molecules in the Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex of Schizophrenic Patients https://t.co/EzOOxl1SSA
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) May 19, 2020
Brainy SZTest partners @KingsCollegeLon published an article @NatureComms: A transcriptome-wide antitermination mechanism sustaining identity of embryonic stem cellsA transcriptome-wide antitermination mechanism sustaining identity of embryonic stem cells https://t.co/zoaPl5wnCj
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) May 25, 2020
Published by SZTest great partners: Increased psychiatric diagnoses and service use in childhood https://t.co/j9B665qVU6
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) June 16, 2020
A great article published by our SZTest partners: Recent Insights into the Role of Unfolded Protein Response in ER Stress in Health and Disease https://t.co/2x5sWjZvLC
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) June 16, 2020
While various studies have shown that diseases of the heart can also be caused by bacteria and viruses, researchers at Protobios Llc (part of SZTest), have identified a link to a specific virus family, as reported in their article published in eBioMedicine https://t.co/40IPkcUFK8
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) March 4, 2022
Oral health is highly important for heart health. Another study from Protobios team shows that antibody response against antigens of oral biofilm is a biomarker of acute heart disease. https://t.co/taSKrVbtQV
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) March 7, 2022
This week, SZtest members have taken over Science seminars at TalTech: lectures are held by Prof. Rossner and Dr. Tuvikene, and @Protobios1's own Helle Sadam is defending her PhD.
Tune in here: https://t.co/wjDzZf1del pic.twitter.com/eJjoG6fZMg
— SZTest (@SZTestEU) March 15, 2022
Hanna Vihma PostDoc at North Carolina at Chapel hill: https://www.philpotlab.org/
A.Pool lab: https://www.thepoollab.org/
Participation to a Conference, Workshop or Event
- Lalowski, M*. (UH) Elucidating the brain dynamics utilizing omics approaches. Hosted by Prof. Dr Bożena Kamińska. Nencki Institute, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland. October 17th, 2019.
- Lalowski, M*. (UH) Quantitative interaction proteomics of neurodegenerative disease proteins. High throughput genomic, transcriptomic and structural biology technologies in biomedicine. Organizers: Postgraduate School of Molecular Medicine/Małopolska Biotechnology Center, Krakow, Poland, 31.03.2021
- Lalowski, M*. (UH) Assessing the brain proteome dynamics in neurodegenerative states using omics and imaging mass spectrometry, Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poznań, Poland. April 14th, 2021. *
- A mechanism underlying position-specific regulation of alternative splicing. Oral presentation by Yaroslav Kainov* (UK) in RNA-UK 2020 meeting, Windermere, UK, January 24-26, 2020.
- Hybridization-proximity labeling reveals spatially ordered interactions of nuclear RNA compartments. Oral presentation by Karen Yap* (UK) in RNA-UK 2022 meeting, Windermere, UK, January 28-30, 2022.
- Ptbp1-Activateded Co-Transcriptional Splicing Controls Epigenetic Status of Pluripotent Stem Cells RNA-UK 2022 meeting. Oral presentation by Eugene Makeyev (UK) in RNA UK 2022 meeting, Windermere, UK, January 28-30, 2022
- A Short Tandem Repeat-Enriched RNA Assembles a Nuclear Compartment to Control Alternative Splicing and Promote Cell Survival. Oral presentation by Eugene Makeyev (UK) in RNA Society Meeting, Krakow, Poland, June 11-16, 2019.
- Sigrid Juselius Symposium “Neuronal Plasticity in Brain Disorders and Their Treatment”, June 2022. Poster presentation “The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor TCF4 regulates activity-dependent transcriptional programs in neurons.” Jürgen Tuvikene (PB), Eli-Eelika Esvald (PB), Alex Sirp (TUT), Anastassia Šubina (TUT, Hanna Vihma (PB), Mari Urb (PB), Kaur Jaanson, Kaja Nurm (TUT), Andra Moistus, Indrek Koppel, Kristi Luberg, Derek Blake, Mari Sepp, Tõnis Timmusk (PB)
- Sigrid Juselius Symposium “Neuronal Plasticity in Brain Disorders and Their Treatment”, June 2022. Poster presentation “Novel stimulus-dependent regulators of BDNF gene expression.” Eli-Eelika Esvald (PB), Andra Moistus, Jürgen Tuvikene (PB), Karin Lehe, Annela Avarlaid (TUT), Tõnis Timmusk (PB)
- Poster presentation at the FENS 2022 meeting in Paris “Characterization of the expression of transcription factor 4 mRNA and protein isoforms in the developing and adult rodent and human brain and peripheral tissues.” FENS is the biggest neuroscience meeting in Europe with thousands of participants. Involves work also done by secondees Alex Sirp, Laura Tamberg and Carl Sander Kiir.
- The American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) 60th Annual Meeting 2021 meeting in Puerto RICO (5.-8.12.2021) entitled “Effects of Acute Alcohol Intake on Reinforcement Learning and Sensitivity”. Anisja Hühne, Raegan Mazurka, Elisabeth Paul, Rebecca Boehme, Markus Heilig, Leah Mayo.
- Immunoprofiling of multiple sclerosis: cerebrospinal fluid viral epitope profiles
predict poor prognosis. Oral presentation at EU project SZTest (No. 734791) event SZTest Week (Tallinn, Tartu, Protobios OÜ, Tartu Ülikool) by Mariliis Jaago (PB), 26.08-30.08.2019.
- Immune response heterogeneity in schizophrenia to neuronal antigens and to common pathogens. Oral presentation by Mariliis Jaago (PB) at 5th Finnish Biological Psychiatry Symposium, 12.2019, Helsinki, Finland.
- European Conference on Computational Biology 2020 (ECCB 2020), 31.08.2020-08.09.2020, Elena Sügise (Quretec and UT)
* Partial secondment due to COVID-19 situation.
Participation to Pitch Events
- Annika Rähni, Tartu University spin-off program, 27.09.2021, Tartu, Estonia
- Kaia Palm, Illumina Accelerator UK program, 13.04.2021 and 12.05.2022, virtual
- Kaia Palm, ZAZ Ventures program, France, 27.04.2022, virtual
Participation in Activities organized jointly with other EU Projects
- PB team in Panbiora (EU760921) events
- PB team in cGEM (EU810645) events
Participation to Communication Campaign (Radio, TV)
- Luksa Popovic presented at the Research Festival at clinic for psychiatry (LMU) on the 15.07.2022
Link to post: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:share:6955113663816998913
- Kaia Palm presented SZTEST data on Estonian National Broadcasting programs Feb 2021, Feb 2022.
Helle Sadam (TalTech), 2022. Immunodominant Antibody Epitopes Associated with the Development of Multiple Sclerosis and Type 1 Narcolepsy – A Next-Generation Phage-Display Analysis (date: 17.03.2022, TalTech)
Hanna Vihma (TalTech), 2018. Regulation of NFAT Transcription Factors by Neuronal Activity (date: 18.05.2018, TalTech)
Mari Urb (UT), 2020. DNA methylation in the predisposition, expression and abstinence of cocaine addiction (date: 25.09.2020, UT).
Liis Leppik (UT), 2021. Alterations in metabolomic profile of lipids, amino acids and biogenic amines in the early course of schizophrenia spectrum disorders (date: 19.03.2021, UT).
Jürgen Tuvikene (TalTech), 2021. Transcriptional and Translational Regulation of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (date: 08.01.2021, TalTech).